Campaign of the Month: June 2012
Lamp of Abu Al-Mubarak
Game mechanic: The lamp is used to explain off a missing character, due to their player’s absence from the game. It started merely as a story foil, but has grown into part of the campaign, and is now in part a driving force within the game.
When a character returns from the lamp to rejoin his fellows in the world, first roll 1d6 to determine how many rounds it takes you to transform from smoke to solid form.
Next roll randomly to see which character is in possession of the lamp – the lamp, as part of its curse, shifts from one pack to another, randomly. Even if the characters leave it behind, it will magically appear either in someone’s pack, or tied to a belt, etc… when the time comes to spit out a character.
Once the person carrying the lamp is determined, roll a d6 twice to determine the direction the cursed character will appear. On the first roll, High = North, Low = South. On the second roll, High = East, Low = West. Now roll a d6 twice to determine distance from the chosen character: a “One” equals the chosen character’s square, and each pip higher moves the target square by 5’.
- If both distance rolls are ones, the target arrives in the same square as his companion, which is considered already occupied by a solid body (see below).
- If both distance rolls are sixes, re-roll and multiply the distance by 10.
Examples: (see the illustration)
- N/S roll is a 3 (low) and E/W roll is a 2 (low). The distance dice are 3 and 1, so the cursed character will appear exactly two squares (10’) from the target, to the South. In this case, the E/W roll did not matter, because the distance was a 1.
- N/S roll is a 6 (high) and E/W roll is a 1 (low). The distance dice are 4 and 6, so the cursed character will appear three squares (15’) North of the the target, and five squares (25’) to the West.
- N/S roll is a 6 (high) and E/W roll is a 5 (high). The distance dice are 2 and 3, so the cursed character will appear next to the target on the North, and two squares (10’) to the East.
You will always arrive at the same level in height from the ground as the target character, but if circumstances dictate, you may not land on solid ground (if they are flying, for example, or if the distance takes you over, say a chasm or river.
If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, such as another person or a solid object, you and the person both take 1d6 points of Constitution damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 25 feet of the intended location. This time, you will not enter an occupied space, unless there are no available free spaces. You will be shifted to the nearest unoccupied square.
If there is no free space within 25 feet, you take an additional 2d6 points of Constitution damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you return to the lamp.
YES, BEWARE DUNGEON CRAWLS!!
This may seem harsh, but after all, it is a cursed lamp, and besides the obvious loss of exp and fun of play for missing a session, this is the toll for your absence.